Dental Exams & Cleanings
During your initial dental visit with our office a complete dental exam will be completed by your dentist, as well as during your regular 6 or 9 month check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will complete the following:• Diagnostic x-rays: to find decay, tumours, cysts, bone loss and tooth positions.
• Oral cancer screening: your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums will be checked for any signs of oral cancer.
• Gum disease evaluation: your gums and bone around your teeth will be checked for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease.
• Examination of tooth surfaces: your teeth will be checked for decay using special dental instruments.
• Examination of existing restorations: your existing fillings, crowns, veneers etc., will be reviewed by your doctor and hygienist.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (scaling, root planning and polishing) are done by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam by a dentist and the following:• Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has formed on the tooth and will be firmly attached. Calculus forms above and below the gum line, and can be removed with appropriate dental instruments.
• Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It’s a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease and can affect your general health.
• Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during regular brushing and scaling.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *